Our Mission + Vision
Abiding with Christ in our Community
The faith community of St Luke works to be a welcoming and inclusive community that celebrates our diversity as we care for and support one another. We value tradition and innovation in our worship, and create opportunities for contemplation and creative expression of our faith. We engage in robust and thought-provoking discussion as we explore the integration of faith in daily life and we challenge ourselves to embody our faith in Christ through serving one another and our wider community.
We exist as an inspiration and support for the communities of Mt Albert, Kingsland and Pt Chevalier, as well as for those who worship in our building. We work with others to develop a just and safe society. Our Vicar and members of our congregation spend time each week with the local community. Our involvement includes SHINE (previously Supportline Women’s Refuge) and the Kerr Taylor Foundation Trust Board. We host the Beneficiaries Advice Mt Albert (BAMA) service, which offers free professional support and advice to beneficiaries and low-income individuals, two half-days a week. We contribute to and support the Auckland City Mission, Overseas Missions, Christian World Service, Anglican Youth, and engage with Selwyn Village. St Luke’s Opportunity Shop is open on Thursdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm.
As a Parish in the Anglican tradition, Saint Luke’s affirms the mission statement of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia
To proclaim the Good News
To nurture new believers
To transform unjust structures
To respond to human needs
To care for the environment
Respecting the Church’s commitment to scripture, tradition and reason, and recognising our local heritage, we try to live out this statement in our worship and education, our relationships with one another, the ways we respond to the community and the ordering of our Parish life. In so doing we endeavour to express the principles of peace, justice, reconciliation, inclusiveness, stewardship of creation, bi-cultural partnership and ministry of all the baptised. How we go about these endeavours is outlined in our Towards 2020 Vision Statement.
Saint Luke’s welcomes all people. Saint Luke’s welcomes you. Come and see.
Where to Find Us
St Luke’s Anglican Church is situated near the corner of St Lukes and New North Roads, and is easily accessible from the Northwestern Motorway by way of the Western Springs off-ramp. It is equidistant from the Morningside and Baldwin Avenue railway stations on the Western Line, roughly 15-20 minutes from Britomart. It is a short distance from a number of important commercial hubs, including St Lukes shopping mall, Mt Albert shops, Rocket Park, and Kingsland shops, and a short drive from Pt Chevalier. Near each of these commercial centres there are a number of restaurants, and cafes where you can meet friends and family before and after services.
There is ample parking at the church, spread over three areas around the grounds:
The grass lawn on the cityside of the main entrance to the church, is available for parking during much of the year, but is best avoided in wet conditions over winter
There are a few carparks in the forecourt, between the church and the hall, which may be used at any time. However, during services, preference is given to parishioners who have difficulty walking up the drive or from the graveyard carpark to the church
The graveyard carpark is accessible from St Lukes Road and provides sealed parking at the rear of the church
Street parking is an option, directly in front of the church or across the road, but please be aware of clearway times
Vicar: The Rev’d Clare Barrie
Administrator: Andrew Rockell
Parish Council: Alastair Anderson, Colin Dale, Susan Jordan, Chris McMenamin, Dennis O'Callaghan, Adrienne Puckey, Sydney Ward
Parish Administrator – Andrew Rockell
Tel: 846-6046 (w) Monday to Thursday 9:30am to 2:30pm
Vicar – The Rev’d Clare Barrie
Adrienne Puckey – 815-3885 (h)
Dennis O’Callaghan – 828-8688 (h)
Colin Dale – 815-1752 (h)
Chris McMenamin – 846-1463 (h)
Alastair Anderson – 630-3715 (h)
Gathering the Church People
When plans for an Anglican church for Mt Albert were first conceived in March 1872, the donor of the church land, Alan Kerr-Taylor (Alberton House), estimated there would be 25 families who would frequent it. The Rev'd Dudley at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, off Symonds Street, whose parochial district covered Mt Albert, offered to conduct an afternoon service every Sunday, if he was provided with a pony trap, for 8s.6d. A committee was formed, a bank account opened, a Deed for the Conveyance of Land to Trustees Appointed by the Auckland Diocesan Trusts Board signed, and the Church officially came into being. A meeting on 10 July 1872 in the new building chose the name ‘Church of St Luke’. A parsonage was built in 1874, when the people could afford a minister’s stipend. Mt Albert became a Parish separate from Holy Sepulchre in 1881, when The Rev'd John Haselden was instituted as St Luke’s first Vicar. The second Vicar, The Rev'd John King Davis, was grandson of John and Hannah King, two of the first six CMS missionaries to New Zealand in 1815. Davis served from 1886 to 1889, by which time regular Sunday attendance was 69 in the morning and 63 in the evening.
The Church Building and Furniture
The church building dedicated to St Luke on 29 September 1872, has a Heritage New Zealand ‘Historic Place Category 2’ listing. It was built to the design of Pierre Finch Martineau Burrows.
Growth in the congregation called for extensions to the building in 1883, during which the interior was refitted. Edward Bartley, Architect to the Anglican Diocese of Auckland, designed the additions, which more than doubled the capacity of the church from 60 to 150. The nave was extended, transepts added, and the chancel altered to the form of five sides with one centre window and two side windows. Provision was made for stained glass windows, which came later. A communion rail, of polished rimu on burnished brass standards, was designed to fit across the outside of the chancel. A main entrance porch was added to the west end of the north side of the nave and a smaller porch at the corner of the south transept and nave. The roof was topped with a belfry and small spire at the west end. The completed interior appears remarkably similar to the original Church of St Andrew Epsom building, which was designed by The Rev'd Dr John Kinder in 1867 with architectural assistance from Reader Wood.
Bishop Cowie consecrated the church and graveyard on 8 May 1883. He dedicated a new stone font on 14 September 1884.
The Church Graveyard
On the slopes and in the hollow behind the church is the graveyard, consecrated in 1883, now closed to burials, but still open for ashes plots. Here are buried past parishioners and clergy who served the parish over their lives. These include members of the Kerr-Taylor family, and St Luke’s first and second vicars, Haselden and Davis, and their wives, and also Davis’s mother and two infant children, who were laid to rest there during his time as Vicar.